Govt Announced A Kissan Relief Package 2022
In line with the proposal sent by the federal government in concurrence regarding Kissan Package 2022 announced by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif in October, the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) Tuesday notified a power tariff cut by Rs3.60 per kWh.
NEPRA mentioned that the Ministry of Energy had filed an application on December 13, requesting the authority to share its concurrence regarding Kissan Package 2022 for a reduction in the price of electricity for agricultural consumers.
Following the request, NEPRA reduced the power tariff by Rs3.60 per unit in their current base rate of Rs16.80. These rates are also applicable to private agriculture consumers of all DISCOs and K-Electric.
PM Shehbaz announced a special Kissan Package worth Rs1,800 billion to facilitate farmers who will be provided loans, sufficient availability of fertilizers at reduced rates, and a reduction in electricity tariff for around 300,000 agricultural tube-wells across the country.
NEPRA Focused THE FOLLOWING KEY POINT
- Private agriculture consumers of all distribution companies and K-Electric shall be provided relief of Rs3.60 per kWh in their current base rate of Rs16.80 per kWh
- Fuel charges adjustments, quarterly tariff adjustments and taxes, and duties shall be paid by the consumers as usual.
- Additional supplementary grant of Rs28 billion with effect from November 1, 2022, in the head of Tariff Differential Subsidy (TDS)
- Release the same grant to the Power Division for the implementation of PM’s Kissan Package
“The authority has considered the request of the ministry and observed that the ministry has not requested any change in the NEPRA-determined tariff or revenue requirement of distribution companies.
“In view thereof, the authority has no objection to the instant proposal, as it does not have any impact on NEPRA determined tariff, hence, approved. No adjustment on this account will be allowed in the tariff determination of DISCOs,” the statement read.
PROGRAM RELIES ON
- Energy efficiency programs: Many utilities offer energy efficiency programs that can help agricultural consumers reduce their energy consumption and lower their electric bills. These programs may include energy audits, rebates for energy-efficient appliances and equipment, and other resources to help consumers save energy.
- Low-income assistance programs: Some utilities offer special rate programs or financial assistance programs for low-income customers, including those in the agricultural sector. These programs can help reduce the burden of high electricity costs for those who may struggle to pay their bills.
- Agricultural rate programs: Some utilities offer special rates for agricultural customers, which may be lower than the standard rates for residential or commercial customers. These programs can help agricultural consumers save money on their electric bills.
- Government programs: There may be state or federal programs available to help agricultural consumers with their energy costs. For example, the PAk . Department of Agriculture offers several programs that provide financial assistance to farmers.